Homemade Croutons

9:19 AM

Ok, the dealio with homemade croutons is that they are 100 times tastier than store-bought and require minimal effort. I don’t stress over what kind of bread to use. I open up my freezer and pull out baked rolls or homemade hamburger buns I’ve been storing there. A delicious rustic ciabatta loaf works well, too. Basically, I don’t think you can go wrong if you use a hearty, sturdy loaf or roll that won’t fall apart on you. For today’s purpose, I am using some homemade buns I used with this recipe (subbing whole wheat for half the flour). Start by cutting them into about 1/2-inch strips.

My rolls were thick enough that I then took those strips and cut each slice in half again lengthwise, as shown.
Cut each strip into about 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes.
You’ll end up with a big pile of yummy bread cube goodness.
Place the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and oh yeah, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Drizzle the bread cubes with about 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss well with your hands so the cubes are evenly coated, for the most part.
Next, take about a teaspoon of coarse/kosher salt and sprinkle it over the bread cubes.
Do the same with about 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
Toss again until the spices are evenly distributed. Then pop the croutons in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, checking often and baking until the cubes are golden brown and toasted.
Serve them on this gourmet green salad or your favorite salad and try not to let your kids eat too many as a snack or your salad will look a little sparse.
Find Pictures here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images